Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribers receive full online access to your subscription and archive of back issues up to and including 2002.
Content published before 2002 is available via pay-per-view purchase only.
Subscribe:Subscribe to Rheumatic Disease Clinics
- Osteoporosis in men: what has changed?.Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2011; 9: 31-35
- Update in male osteoporosis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 3-10
- Osteoporosis in men: the value of laboratory testing.Osteoporos Int. 2011; 22: 1845-1853
- Prevalence and trends in low femur bone density among older US adults: NHANES 2005-2006 compared with NHANES III.J Bone Miner Res. 2010; 25: 64-71
- Epidemiology and etiology of osteoporosis in men.UpToDate, 2010 (Available at:)Accessed December 28, 2010)
- Diagnosis and evaluation of osteoporosis in men.UpToDate, 2010 (Available at:)Accessed December 28, 2010)
- Treatment of osteoporosis in men.UpToDate, 2010 (Available at:)Accessed December 28, 2010)
- Assessment of fracture risk and application to screening for postmenopausal osteoporosis.World Health Organization, Geneva (Switzerland)1994
National Osteoporosis Foundation. America’s bone health: the state of osteoporosis and low bone mass. Available at: http://www.nof.org/advocacy/prevalence. Accessed May 1, 2005.
- The potential impact of new National Osteoporosis Foundation guidance on treatment patterns.Osteoporos Int. 2010; 21: 41-52
- Application of the National Osteoporosis Foundation Guidelines to postmenopausal women and men: the Framingham Osteoporosis Study.Osteoporos Int. 2010; 21: 53-60
- Patterns of bone mineral density testing: current guidelines, testing, rates, and interventions.J Gen Intern Med. 2004; 19: 783-790
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. Bone Mass Measurement: Overview. 2011. Available at: http://www.cms.gov/BoneMassMeasurement/. Accessed August 10, 2011.
- Osteoporosis: differences and similarities in male and female patients.Orthop Clin North Am. 2006; 37: 601-609
- Residual lifetime risk of fractures in women and men.J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 781-788
- Risk factors for the development of osteoporosis and osteoporotic fractures among older men.J Rheumatol. 2009; 36: 1947-1952
- Incidence and economic burden of osteoporosis-related fractures in the United States.J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 465-475
- Medical expenditures for the treatment of osteoporotic fractures in the United States in 1995: report from the National Osteoporosis Foundation.J Bone Miner Res. 1997; 12: 24-35
DeFrances CJ, Podgornik MN. 2004 National Hospital Discharge Survey: Annual Summary with detailed diagnosis and procedure data. Advance data from vital and health statistics. Hyattsville (MD): National Center for Health Statistics; 2006. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad371.pdf. Accessed August 10, 2011.
- Does bone density predict fractures comparably in men and women?.Osteoporos Int. 2001; 12: 707-709
- Incidence of hip and other osteoporotic fractures in elderly men and women: Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study.J Bone Miner Res. 2004; 19: 532-536
- Evidence from data searches and life-table analyses for gender-related differences in absolute risk of hip fracture after Colles' or spine fracture: Colles' fracture as an early and sensitive marker of skeletal fragility in white men.J Bone Miner Res. 2004; 19: 1933-1944
- Secular trends in hip fracture incidence and recurrence.Osteoporos Int. 2008; 20: 687-694
- BMD and risk of hip and nonvertebral fractures in older men: a prospective study and comparison with older women.J Bone Miner Res. 2006; 21: 1550
- Risk-adjusted mortality rates of elderly veterans with hip fractures.Ann Epidemiol. 2007; 17: 514-519
- Gender differences in patients with hip fracture: a greater risk of morbidity and mortality in men.J Orthop Trauma. 2005; 19: 29-35
- The association of race, gender, and comorbidity with mortality and function after hip fracture.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2008; 63A: 867-872
- The contribution of hip fracture to risk of subsequent fractures: data from two longitudinal studies.Osteoporos Int. 2003; 14: 879-883
- Repeat hip fractures in a population-based sample of Medicare recipients in the US: timing and gender differences [abstract].J Bone Miner Res. 2001; 16 (S213)
- Excess mortality attributable to hip fracture in white women aged 70 years and older.Am J Public Health. 1997; 87: 1630-1636
- Gender differences in functioning after hip fracture.J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci. 2006; 61A: 495-499
- Bone health and deterioration in quality of life among participants from the Hertfordshire Cohort Study.Osteoporos Int. 2010; 21: 1817-1824
- Peak bone mass.Osteoporos Int. 2000; 11: 985-1009
- Genetic and environmental determinants of peak bone mass in young men and women.J Bone Miner Res. 2002; 17: 1273-1279
- Bone biology, epidemiology, and general principles.in: Cummings S.R. Cosman F. Jamal S. Osteoporosis: an Evidence-based Guide to Prevention and Management. American College of Physicians, Philadelphia (PA)2002: 3-25
- Bone quality – the material and structural basis of bone strength and fragility.New Engl J Med. 2006; 354: 2250-2261
- Risk factors for longitudinal bone loss in elderly men and women: the Framingham Osteoporosis Study.J Bone Miner Res. 2000; 15: 710-720
- Male osteoporosis: epidemiology and pathophysiology.Curr Osteoporos Rep. 2003; 1: 71-77
- Sex steroids and the construction and conservation of the adult skeleton.Endocr Rev. 2002; 23: 279-302
- Longitudinal study of changes in hip bone mineral density in Caucasian and African-American women.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 183-189
- Racial differences in rate of decline in bone mass in older men: the Baltimore Men's Osteoporosis Study.J Bone Miner Res. 2005; 20: 1228-1234
- Risk factors for low BMD in healthy men age 50 years or older: a systematic review.Osteoporos Int. 2009; 20: 507-518
- Prevalence of osteoporosis in men and determinants of changes in bone mass in a non-selected Spanish population.Osteoporos Int. 2005; 16: 603-609
- Modifiable predictors of bone loss in older men: a prospective study.Am J Prev Med. 2004; 26: 436-442
- Assessment of determinants for osteoporosis in elderly men.Osteoporos Int. 2009; 20: 1157-1166
- Predictors of non-spine fracture in elderly men: the MrOS Study.J Bone Miner Res. 2007; 22: 211
- Bone loss after initiation of androgen deprivation therapy in patients with prostate cancer.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2005; 90: 6410-6417
Campion J, Maricic MJ. Osteoporosis in men. 2003. Available at: http://www.aafp.org/afp/2003/0401/p1521.html. Accessed August 10, 2011.
- Endogenous sex hormones and incident fracture risk in older men. The Dubbo Osteoporosis Epidemiology Study.Arch Intern Med. 2008; 168: 47-54
- Relative contributions of testosterone and estrogen in regulating bone resorption and formation in normal elderly men.J Clin Invest. 2000; 106: 1553-1560
- Sex hormones, their receptors, and bone health.Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 1517-1525
- Estradiol, testosterone, and the risk for hip fracture in elderly men from the Framingham Study.Am J Med. 2006; 119: 426-433
- The effects of serum testosterone, estradiol, and sex hormone binding globulin levels on fracture risk in older men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2009; 94: 3337-3346
- Racial differences in bone mineral density in older men.J Bone Miner Res. 2003; 18: 2238-2244
- Relative contributions of multiple determinants to bone mineral density in men.Osteoporos Int. 2009; 20: 2035-2047
- Official Positions of the International Society for Clinical Densitometry and executive summary of the 2007 ISCD Position Development Conference.J Clin Densitom. 2008; 11: 75-91
- Clinical Efficacy Assessment Subcommittee of the American College of Physicians. Screening for osteoporosis in men: a clinical practice guideline Screening for osteoporosis in men: a clinical practice guideline from the American College of Physicians.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148: 680-684
Shekelle P, Munjas B, Liu H, et al. Screening men for osteoporosis: who & how. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK49063/. Accessed August 9, 2011.
- Screening for osteoporosis in men: a systematic review for an American College of Physicians Guideline.Ann Intern Med. 2008; 148: 685-701
Nelson HD, Haney EM, Chou R, et al. Screening for osteoporosis: Systematic Review to Update the 2002 U.S. Preventive Services Task Force Recommendation. 2010. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK45201/. Accessed August 9, 2011.
Department of Veterans Affairs VHA. 2009. Available at: http://www.va.gov/vhapublications/ViewPublication.asp?pub_ID=2083. Accessed August 9, 2011.
- Undersecretary for Health's Information Letter. Osteoporosis in Men.Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Health Administration, Washington, DC2011
- Ageing of the hypothalamo-pituitary-testicular axis in men.Horm Res. 1995; 43: 25-28
Faiman C. Male Hypogonadism. 2009. Available at: http://www.clevelandclinicmeded.com/medicalpubs/diseasemanagement/endocrinology/male-hypogonadism/. Accessed August 9, 2011.
- Osteoporosis in men with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.Ann Intern Med. 1987; 106: 354-361
- Bone loss in men with prostate cancer treated with gonadotropin-releasing hormone agonists.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2001; 86: 2787-2791
- Osteoporosis in hemochromatosis: iron excess, gonadal deficiency, or other factors?.Ann Intern Med. 1989; 110: 430-436
- Increase in bone density and lean body mass during testosterone administration in men with acquired hypogonadism.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996; 81: 4358-4365
- Long-term effect of testosterone therapy on bone mineral density in hypogonadal men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997; 82: 2386-2390
- Increases in bone density during treatment of men with idiopathic hypogonadotropic hypogonadism.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1989; 69: 776-783
- Observations on nursing home residents with a history of hip fracture.Am J Med Sci. 1995; 310: 229-234
- Osteoporosis in men.Bailliere's Clin Rheumatol. 1993; 7: 589-601
- Treatment of isolated hypogonadotropic hypogonadism effect on bone mineral density and bone turnover.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1997; 82: 658-665
- Osteopenia in men with a history of delayed puberty.N Engl J Med. 1992; 326: 600-604
- A longitudinal evaluation of bone mineral density in adult men with histories of delayed puberty.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1996; 81: 1152-1155
- Short-term effect of testosterone treatment on reduced bone density in boys with constitutional delay of puberty.J Bone Miner Res. 1995; 10: 1488-1495
- Race/ethnic differences in bone mineral density in men.Osteoporos Int. 2007; 18: 943-953
- Sex steroids and bone mass in older men: positive associations with serum estrogens and negative associations with androgens.J Clin Invest. 1997; 100: 1755-1759
- Relationship of serum sex steroid levels and bone turnover markers with bone mineral denstiy in men and women: a key role for bioavailable estrogen.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1998; 83: 2266-2274
- Serum oestradiol and oestrogen-receptor gene polymorphism are associated with bone mineral density independently of serum testosterone in normal males.Clin Endocrinol. 1998; 49: 803-809
- Hormonal and biochemical parameters in the determination of osteoporosis in elderly men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 1999; 84: 3626-3635
- Endogenous sex steroids and bone mineral density in older women and men: the Rancho Bernardo Study.J Bone Miner Res. 1997; 12: 1833-1843
- Association of hypogonadism and estradiol levels with bone mineral density in elderly men from the Framingham Study.Ann Intern Med. 2000; 133: 951-963
- Correlations between serum testosterone, estradiol, and sex hormone-binding globulin and bone mineral density in a diverse sample of men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2008; 93: 2135-2141
- Marked decline in trabecular bone mineral content in healthy men with age: lack of association with sex steroid levels.J Am Geriatr Soc. 1987; 35: 189-197
- Relations of endogenous anabolic hormones and physical activity to bone mineral density and lean body mass in elderly men.Clin Endocrinol. 1994; 40: 653-661
- Association of testosterone and estradiol deficiency with osteoporosis and rapid bone loss in older men.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2006; 91: 3908-3915
- Free testosterone is an independent predictor of BMD and prevalent fractures in elderly men: MrOS Sweden.J Bone Miner Res. 2006; 21: 529-535
- Osteoporotic Fractures in Men MrOS Study Research Group. Endogenous sex steroids, weight change and rates of hip bone loss in older men: the MrOS study.Osteoporos Int. 2006; 17: 1329-1336
Nayak S, Liu H, Michaud K, et al. Cost-effectivess of alternative screening strategies for osteoporosis in postmenopausal women. 2006; Available at: http://smdm.confex.com. Accessed August 10, 2011.
- Universal bone densitometry, screening combined with alendronate therapy for those diagnosed with osteoporosis in highly cost-effective for elderly women.J Am Geriatr Soc. 2005; 53: 1697-1704
- Cost-effectiveness of bone densitometry followed by treatment of osteoporosis in older men.JAMA. 2007; 298: 629-637
- Effect of osteoporosis treatment on mortality: a meta-analysis.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2010; 95: 1174-1181
National Osteoporosis Foundation. Clinician's Guide to Prevention and Treatment of Osteoporosis. 2008. Available at: http://www.nof.org/sites/default/files/pdfs/NOF_Clinicians_Guide2008.pdf, 2011. Accessed August 10, 2011.
- Bridging the osteoporosis quality chasm.J Bone Miner Res. 2009; 24: 3-7
- The osteoporosis care gap in men with fragility fractures: the Canadian Multicenter Osteoporosis Study.Osteoporos Int. 2008; 19: 581-587
- Undertreatment of osteoporosis in men with hip fracture.Arch Intern Med. 2002; 162: 2217-2222
Force AHT. American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists medical guidelines for clinical practice for the evaluation and treatment of hypogonadism in adult male patients - 2002 update. 2002. Available at: http://www.touchgroupplc.com/pdf/790/2-aacehtf.pdf. Accessed August 10, 2011.
- Effect of testosterone on bone density and bone metabolism in adolescent male hypogonadism.Metabolism. 1995; 44: 419-423
- Some skeletal dimensions of males with isolated gonadotrophin deficiency.Neth J Med. 1992; 41: 259-263
- Glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis in men.Endocrinol Invest. 2011; 34: 481-484
- American College of Rheumatology 2010 recommendations for the prevention and treatment of glucocorticoid-induced osteoporosis.Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken). 2010; 62: 1515-1526
- Testosterone therapy in glucocorticoid-treated men.Arch Intern Med. 1996; 15: 1173-1177
Disclosures: Dr Orwig, Ms Chiles, and Mr Jones have nothing to disclose. Dr Hochberg is a consultant to Amgen, Eli Lilly and Co., Genentech/Roche, Merck & Co., Inc and Novartis Pharma AG.